Stay updated on COVID-19 at official government website: sacoronavirus.co.za
Midrand Striders is an athletics club based at Midrand High School, 3rd Road, Halfway Gardens in Midrand.
The club was established in 1980 and has since grown to over 200 active members before being affected by Covid. The founding principles were fitness, friendship and fun and these are still true today.
The club hosts weekly runs including Tuesday time trials, Thursday track runs and/or hill work, and Sunday long runs.
Please contact us for any information about the club and its activities.
We wish you happy running!
Check out our event calendar or join our club!
Tuesday Time Trials
The club has its time trials with routes of 4 and 8 km scheduled every Tuesday. The time trials start at 17:30.
You are welcome to join us for social time trials on the last Tuesday of the month.
Thursday Hill or Speed Work
The club has its long runs with track or hill work or 10 km social run scheduled for every Thursday with a start time of 17:30. The actual nature of the session is communicated as necessary.
Sunday Club Run
The club has long runs between 15 and 30 km (with a seconding car and water points at every 3 km to hand out drinks provided by club members) every Sunday. The cost for the Sunday run is R10 for non club members. You can also hop into a car when you have had enough, or if you are falling behind the group. The exact distance to be covered on a particular Sunday is published on our calendar.
As a member you will be required to second / assist at a club run at least once a year on a Sunday. Your will be allocated a date for seconding which will be noted when you register for the year. This is over and above assisting at the annual 21 km Club Race in August.
The Midrand Striders Club Championship
A number of races of differing distances are selected for the Club Championship each year, any member of the club may enter these races at their own cost and submit their official times for entry to the Championship.
Awards in varying categories are handed out at the annual Club awards.
The 2022 Midrand Striders club championship races are as follows:
- Wally Hayward (42km) – 02 May 2022
- Alan Rob (32km) – 3rd April 2022
- Zwartkop (21km) – 30 July 2022
- RAC (10km) – 29 May 2022
- Achievements and improvements: 1 September 2021 – 31 August 2022
A member taking part in any ASA licensed event is required to wear the Midrand Striders club vest and plain black short, skirt, tight or pants at all times.
Club vests are sold at the club and their cost is not included on the membership fee. The 2022 prices for clubwear are as follows:
- Men’s shirts are priced at R280
- Men’s vests are priced at R200
- Ladies racer back tops are priced R280
- Ladies vests are priced at R200
- Visor Caps are priced at R130
- Peaks are priced at R150
- Jackets are priced at R350
- The plain black shorts, skirts, tights or pants may be purchased at any sports shop or clothes retailers.
Become a Member
Please follow the following steps to join Midrand Striders:
- Complete the ASA Licensing Form for registration with ASA, if this is the first time joining the club.
- Ensure that you are registered on the CGA Online Portal If this is not done you will not be able to receive your licence number.
- Join the Midrand Striders community on Facebook
- Make payment of the club membership into Midrand Striders, 1686005644, Nedbank, Branch 168642. Please use your surname and initials as reference. Members are discouraged to make cash deposits/payments as they attract a surcharge of R20.
- Email your proof of payment (POP), to firstname.lastname@example.org (0736218872) using your initials and surname as reference.
- If you order a vest: WITH your POP please e-mail your vest size so that we can have it ready for you when you collect your number. If it doesn’t fit we can just change sizes.
- Your details will then be placed onto the club database & cell number added to the WhatsApp group.
- Arrange to collect your ASA Licence (and vest if ordered) from Dora Mwaiseghe (0783097226) during Tuesday or Thursday run. Make sure you pack your running kit on those evenings so that you can take part in the Time Trial/Track Training.
- Licence Numbers will also be available for collection at Sunday runs up until the end of February. Thereafter, please make arrangements by contacting Lungi Maminza on 0736218872.